Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Midori Style Journal and a Pocket Insert

I have been obsessing over this new (to me) journal idea since I was partnered with someone in a swap in February. It's a Midori or Travelers notebook/journal and the basic idea is that all the notebook signatures are replaceable. So it's extra customizable, long lasting, and addictive! I'm going to share one regular sized journal I made along with a pocket insert. This is one of the first three journals in this style that I've made and one of the largest. The ones I've made since are all smaller "pocket" sized (and I'll share those later).

When I started making it I was going back and forth between it and two other small ones to see what I did and didn't like along with what did and didn't work. I borrowed a lot of the design/structure from the fabric covered art journal I posted about in February.

I was partnered with someone that likes nature, leaves, and green/forest colors so I wanted to incorporate that into the journal. (It was a color themed swap so I paid extra attention to forest colors).  I used this dark green speckled fabric as the background and filled it with fallen leaves. I also found a wood button made from a tree branch with bark still attached that I added to the outside elastic cord.

Front and back:


I made the leaves similarly to the way TM patches are made by hand stitching the raw edge to the other side. I used batting in the middle to give it more weight and machine stitched the veins with a variegated thread. Closeups:




Here's the cover before I added the elastic cords:


Open cover before and after cords were added: 



I used a button on the inside to keep the cord on the outside secure. I also included some autumn leaves fabric to keep the leaves theme going on the inside. 

Then I made some paper signatures to use inside the journal. I used a combination of scrapbook paper and old calendars. One is shown flat/open and the other three are closed.






Then later for the same person (but in a different swap) I made her a pocket insert for her "travel" size journal. I used greens that I hadn't used before and some other complimentary fabrics. This thing was a pain to make and it seemed like everytime I turned around I had made another mistake. But in the end it did it's job and I was satisfied enough to send it on it's way. I tried to make a variety of pocket types to give her options.

Inside pockets laid flat (this side was supposed to be the outside but it wouldn't fold that way!):


Outside pockets laid flat:


And folded:


I enjoyed serging all the edges for this but I haven't attempted making more pockets since! Next time I make one I think I'll try something different to stabilize it. Maybe cardstock or denim? 

No comments:

Post a Comment